September 7, 2021
Sustainable spirit – Aber Falls Whisky
This year, Aber Falls Distillery partnered with IPL Packaging to create a sustainable pack for its new whisky; a pack that would ideally complement the Welsh distillery’s heritage and brand story.
James Wright, managing director at Aber Falls Whisky Distillery, said, “We’re a distillery that proudly produces 100% Welsh whisky, capturing the Welsh craft and heritage in every bottle.”
“As a result, our products are extremely sustainable, enabling us to benefit Wales at every stage of production. This includes returning any waste ingredients to local farms for use as fertiliser or cattle feed.”
“They are crafted using 100% Welsh malted barley and rock-filtered water taken from the Aber Falls Waterfall and are crafted by a team of local people.”
A Partnership to Power Sustainable Packaging
Motivated to develop a signature, eco-friendly packaging solution, the Aber Falls NPD team worked in collaboration with the IPL Design team to create a fully collapsible premium drinks pack.
Sustainable materials and processes involved in the design of the pack included:
- A rigid board structure wrapped in recycled, uncoated craft paper.
- An integrated push-fit buckle closure (eliminating reliance on magnets or metal fasteners).
- Minimal colour and print application achieved through food-grade soybean ink and embossing.
- A fold-over sidewall, base and top fitment structure (removing the need for glue and fasteners to hold the structure together).
- Water-soluble glue used in the lamination of the paper wrap.
The striking result marries functional design with quality, enhances the brand story and ultimately, delivers innovative, planet-friendly spirit packaging for the 21st century.
May 4, 2022
The Costs of Conflict
February 11, 2021
Why colour choice matters in global packaging
December 8, 2020
A ‘New Normal’ in Packaging for Traditional Luxury Brands?
September 15, 2022
Societal Shifts and their Impact on Packaging
October 5, 2020
Highland (Double) Gold for Tullibardine
November 18, 2021
Made For Generations
May 19, 2022
A Slam Dunk for Cincoro
December 20, 2021